PONY UP FOR THE MOUNTED UNIT!
2012 is here! Along with the new year comes the anticipated completion of the 501(c)(3) Non-Profit, Friends of the Bethlehem Mounted Police. A non-profit organization allows us to provide donors and sponsors with a tax-deductible donation center that is overseen by a board of directors. The current budget through the City of Bethlehem for the care of the horses is near $12,000. We anticipate that with the upcoming budget for 2012, the Mounted Patrol Unit will see a 50% or more reduction in the operational funding for the Unit along with the total elimination of our training budget. While the Mounties can train their horses for next to no money with the equipment they already have, it is essential that money be raised to help fund the care of the horses. Unless funds are raised to cover the remaining costs the Unit will be funded until the Spring of 2012. At that time, our Unit’s status will be undecided.
CURRENTLY SEEKING SPONSORS!
Here’s how you can help.
Have a sweet spot for Pharaoh? Does George tickle your fancy? Is Raven the horse for you? The horses need your help! The Mounted Patrol Unit is currently seeking sponsors for our new Adopt-A-Horse program. With the current economic climate and the shrinking municipal budget the members of the unit have developed a sponsorship program to defer the cost of the caring for our partners from the tax payers. Without you or your company’s help we may not be able to afford continuing this program due to budget reductions. Estimated annual costs for the shoeing, feeding, and vetting of our horses is approximately $5,000 per horse. If you, your family, or your company is interested in a sponsorship, we can provide you with the following as a thanks for the sponsorship.
A Sponsor will receive the following:
- A memento plaque containing a picture of the horse in full patrol dress and a worn horseshoe used on patrol.
- A sponsor plaque that will be displayed on the horse’s stall at Johnson Barn, Burnside Plantation.
- A special mention on our website in a section commending our donors as a friend of the Bethlehem Mounted Police, community partner and horse sponsor.
Every donation and sponsorship is 100% tax deductible through The Friends of the Bethlehem Mounted Police. The estimated operational date of the non-profit is January 2012 in anticipation of our Adopt-A-Horse program. Should you have any questions or are interested in the program feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. With a sponsorship of one of Bethlehem’s favorite horses, you or your company can allow our City to remain unique and diverse, both in its culture and its available community services.
- The cost of fuel for Police vehicles in the 2011 budget was $250,000.
- The cost of care for three police horses in the 2011 budget was $11,175 with $2,500 for training and equipment.
- The budgeted amount for fuel for Police vehicles for 2012 is $225,000.
- The cost of care for three police horses covered by the City of Bethlehem for 2012 is $6,000 with no money set aside for training.